Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Developers: Beware of scams posing at pre-employment tests on Craigslist.

I occasionally check-up on the web developer jobs on craigslist.org, and this is the second time this month I’ve noticed this particular scam. When I realize what these asshats are trying to pull, it enrages me. I figured I’d write about here to warn others. In case craigslist pulls the ad here it is:

We need a person who is an expert with PHP and CGI/PERL. Pay will be $80,000 to $125,000 per year plus full medical and more. You will also get a laptop. Our recruiting for this position is a little bit unique. Below you will find a project to complete. Your performace on this project will determine if you become a permanent employee with us.

1. There Are Awards For The First 10 To Complete The Project
1: $1000
2-5: $500
5-7: $100
7-10: $50
10+ no award but still have the opportunity for employment.

YOU MUST COMPLETE THE BELOW PROJECT BEFORE SUNDAY JANUARY 21 2007.

What we need is a form with the following fields:
First Name
Last Name
Email Address
Username
Country (drop down list if possible)
Referred By
Do you agree to the terms and conditions?

Details:
-All Fields EXCEPT the Referred by field should be required.

-THE FORM MUST BE LIMITED TO 1 ENTRY PER PERSON. EITHER VIA IP ADDRESS, COOKIES, OR ANY OTHER WAY YOU CAN THINK OF.

- The form must end at a success page.

-When the form is submitted the information from the form needs to be sent to: promotions@freerollsource.net (use sendmail, smtp, mailto etc.)

-You must host this form on a free host of you choice (Must be a completely new account since we will need the account info to review your work).
Here is a list of some free hosts you can use that support cgi/perl and php (with MySQL Database). Go here for a list of some free hosts: http://www.free-webhosts.com/webhosting-01.php

We actually have a CGI script that does all this. It is acceptable to use it if you install it correctly. Email me to get the CGI script.

Once you have completed the project, email me with the URL to the form, as well as the information for the free host you used. I will request some additional information about your background as well. A resume would be nice thing to have ready.

GOOD LUCK! Feel free to email me (daniel@traudts.com ) if you have any trouble.

Now I’ve read a lot job postings in my days and this sounds a tad bit fishy–even for craigslist. Secondly, the guy’s email address leads to a half-ass family website. Hmm… something isn’t kosher. Thirty seconds after googling his email address:

Hello,

I know my way around php and html; but there is one thing I cannot figure out to do.

Right now, I have a standard form that is send to my email address once completed.

What I need to be able to do is limit sign-up to one per IP address. I was hoping someone knew how to do this. I am willing to pay for information that helps me complete the task. Thank you.

Feel free to email me: daniel@traudts.com (NO SPAM!)

I think it’s pretty self-explanatory what this guy is trying to pull with his pie-in-the-sky, bogus job listing. Unfortunately, this is the second time this month that I’ve seen this particular scam; and this is in the smaller market of metro Detroit/Ann Arbor. The prior listing was a bit more convincing and probably lured in more developers than one that talked about a job interview with cash prizes attached. It’s something to be aware of out there…

No comments: